Parish Church of:
Truro - St Paul
Formed February 7th, 1865 from St Clements Parish.
The church in Agar Road, erected in 1848, is a building of stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting originally of chancel, nave, south aisle and south porch: in 1884 it was restored under the direction of J.D. Sedding esq. architect of London, and a new chancel erected of Polyphant stone from Lewannie, near Launceston, the lower stage of a tower erected so as to form the east end of the south aisle, and transepts added, beneath which are vestry and parish rooms; the new chancel is divided from the nave by a screen of carved oak, consisting of a central arch and two arched openings on either side with a rood loft above, erected as a memorial to Jessie Gardiner, by her husband: the brass eagle lectern was the gift of Miss Mansel Tweedy of Alverton: the east window is a memorial of the late Sir Philip Prothereo Smith, of Truro, d. 24 June, 1882, and there are four other stained windows,; in 1889 a north aisle was built and the roof of the nave raised; the total
cost of the alterations has been £3,360: there are 610 sittings. The register dates from the year 1865.