Parish Church of:
The church of St. Tudy is a building of stone, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel of two bays, nave of four bays, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower 64 feet high, with pinnacles, and containing 5 bells, dated 1751: in 1887 and 1888 the tower was repaired, the fourth bell was recast, the whole peal re-hung, and a new chiming apparatus affixed: the north aisle, of three bays, extends to the extreme east end, and takes in more than one bay of the nave; the south aisle extends for the whole length of the church: the stained east window is a memorial to John P. and E.A. Moyle-Magor, of Penventon, and was presented by their children in 1879; and there is another memorial window to Gils Jory Lang, of Tamsquite, 1787-1864: at the west end of the south aisle is a monument with effigies in stone, an inscription in latin, and 26 rhyming lines in English, to Humphry Nicoll esq, of Penvose, ob. 20th September, 1597; at the east end of the south
aisle is a sumptuous monument of stone and marble, to Anthony Nicholl, ob. 20th February, 1658, and four sons, 1649-78; there are kneeling effigies of himself and his wife, and others of the four boys; above is a long Latin inscription and 10 rhyming verses in English; this memorial was erected by Amy (Speccott), his wife, in 1681; on the floor is a slab inscribed to Humphrey Nicoll, ob. 6th June, 1699; at the west end of the north aisle is a slate slab, with 22 English verses, four female kneeling figures of a mother and three daughters carved in low relief; over their heads are five shields of arms; no names are given, but the shields clearly show this to be the tombstone of Alice (Denzell), wife of William Reskymer, ob. 14th January, 1563-4, and her daughters Anne, Katherine and Johanna; there is a tablet to Philippa (Nicholl), wife of John Silly, of Trevelver, ob. 8th May, 1669, and a granite floorstone to Margery, wife of Humphry Lower, ob. 27th August, 1686;
and there are other memorials to the Billing family, 1579-1624; Hanor, wife of John Barrett, ob. February, 1636; William Lobb, ob. December, 1663, and Margery, his wife, ob. June 1661; Admiral Sir Richard Onslow bart, G.C.B. d. 27 December , 1817; Sir Henry Onslow bart, d. 13th September, 1853; Sir Matthew Richard Onslow bart, d. 3rd August, 1876; in the churchyard is a slab inscribed to Sir Henry Onslow bart. d. 20th November 1870, and a very ancient coped tomb of pre- Norman date, with traces of carving upon it; there are also memorials to the Rev. George Allanson M.A. rector (1727-41), and to his wife Elizabeth, daughter of Sir Jonathan Trelawny bart, bishop of Winchester (1707-21), d. Jan. 25th, 1744; the church was thoroughly restored in 1873, at a cost of £1,150; in 1890 a sum of £50 was expended in finishing the reredos, erecting a communion table, and in 1892 a new organ was built, at a cost of £250; there are 275 sittings; during the years 1890-2 the
churchyard was levelled and improved, and in the course of the work an ancient and curiously-wrought coped tomb of granite was unearthed. The register dates from the year 1559.