Parish Church of:
Week St Mary
The church of St. Mary is a building of stone and granite, in the Early English and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave of five bays, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing 5 bells, all cast in 1731: in the north aisle, once a chantry dedicated to St. John the Baptist, a piscina and fragments of an altar remain: in the north wall are the rood loft stairs: the font is octangular, and of Late Perpendicular date: the tower, built in 1543, is of granite ashlar, and has a large canopied niche on the south side: there are memorials to George Rolle, 1602; John Mill, 1631; Edward Mill, 1610; Margery, wife of John Gayer, gent. 1679, and others: and in the north aisle is a memorial window to Mrs Hopkins, wife of the Rev. G.H.Hopkins, late rector: the church was restored in 1880 at a cost of £1,800, and in 1887 the tower was thoroughly renovated and the bells recast, at a cost of £168: there are 185 sittings. The
register dates from the year 1602.