Parish Church of:
The church of St. Gwendron is a building of granite in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of nave, south aisle, north transept, south porch and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing 5 bells, all cast in 1833, except the second, which is dated 1868: the church retains piscina, sedilia and a credence, and the rood stairs also remain: there are several mural monuments of modern date: the stained east window was presented by the Rev. G. B. Boraston, a former vicar: in the north wall of the chancel is an arched recess about 8 feet in breadth, anciently used as an Easter sepulchre and over the western part of the recess is a lepers window, 11 inches wide and 6 feet high: the altar stone now forms the door step of the entrance to the chancel: in the chancel on the south side of the communion table (but formerly in the south aisle) are brass effigies, now incomplete of a civilian and his wife, and below these figures of 15 children, c.
1580, supposed to commemorate the Hill family, of Trenethick; on the north side is a fine but, headless brass effigy of a priest in processional vestments, representing Warine Penhallurky LL.B. prebendary of Glasney, rector of St. Just and vicar of St. Stythians and Wendron, ob. 9th April, 1535; the inscription on a narrow banding of brass surrounds the margin of the slab; the church was new roofed, thoroughly restored and re-seated with open benches in 1868, under the direction of the late Mr. E. Sedding, at a cost of £1,100; the church has 360 sittings. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1562; marriages and burials, 1560.
There is a mission church at Gwealangears.
The church of St. Decumanus, at Merther Uny, originally dedicated to St. Uny, an Irish saint, was licensed in 1427 and desecrated at the end of the last century: the north wall, which is in tolerable preservation, and part of a tall round headed cross still remain on the site; the cemetery is now a garden.
At Trussal once stood an ancient chapel, dedicated to St. Wendrona, and an Early English piscina still marks the site. At Bodilly is another chapel, dedicated to St Henry the Hermit, ob. 1120, and here also a piscina remains.